History & Mission
Brolis Semiconductors was established in 2011 by three Vizbaras brothers – Augustinas, Kristijonas and Dominykas as a spin-off from elite German Walter Schottky Institute. In 2012 the company attracted initial VC funding and built it’s state-of-the-art facility in Vilnius,Lithuania. In 2015 Brolis attracted new investments from major solid-state manufacturers to replace the VC fund and strengthen company’s goal to become a vertically integrated manufacturer. Buy-out of shares from LitCapital was successfully completed in 2017.
Brolis Semiconductors focuses on creation some of the world’s finest infrared laser products from near infrared to mid infrared. With the help of company’s international positioning and state-of-the-art infrastructure, top talent engineering and scientific staff company is able to develop most cutting-edge solutions for security, medical, research and industrial applications. Our unique skill set and world’s largest epitaxy facility for long wavelength infrared optoelectronics has helped to demonstrate numerous world-record performance devices on the largest industrial GaSb substrate platform in the market today.
Since foundation, Brolis Semiconductors has been growing dynamically, marked by numerous awards, continuous innovation and consistent growth in both personnel and infrastructure. Currently Brolis acts across three locations with headquarters and production facility in Vilnius, Lithuania, E-O systems for defense and security sales location in Larne, Northern Ireland, UK and Silicon Photonics acitvity in Ghent, Belgium.
- February 27, 2018. Brolis Semiconductors wins The Newcomer of the Year 2018 at Flanders Foreign Investment Trophy 2018 ceremony
- October 11th, 2018 Brolis wins “Most Disruptive Innovation Award 2018” at Deloitte Technology Fast 50 CEE
- Brolis ranks #6 among fastest growing technology companies in Central and Eastern Europe as ranked by Deloitte
- Brolis Semiconductors BVBA incorporated in Ghent, Belgium for silicon photonics R&D.
- Brolis Semiconductors completes buy-out of shares from LitCapital VC fund.
- Brolis gets a second US patent “High-mobility semiconductor heterostructures ” issued as US 9,640,389
- Brolis to supply advanced electro-optic systems to Lithuanian MOD for 3.5 M EUR
- Company becomes a member of Epixfab and EPIC
- Brolis gets a US patent “Semiconductor heterostructure and method of fabrication thereof ” published as US 9,472,627 B2
- Brolis and CSEM joint project SwirSense gets rank #6 from 293 in EUROSTARS
- Brolis wins CSindustry 2016 Innovation award for tunable SensAline laser
- Company gets ISO 9001:2015 certified
- Brolis adds NIR product line based on GaAs/AlGaAs with up to 12 W CW per single emitter.
- 980 nm wavelength high-power laser diodes available.
- Brolis Photonics Solutions Ltd – Brolis daughter company is founded in Larne, Northern Ireland.
- Brolis adds new products in the 2100 nm – 2700 nm wavelength range
- Brolis Semiconductors introduces new SAF gain-chips in the 2000 nm – 3000 nm range for spectroscopy applications with 100 nm/chip tuning range
- Brolis doubles the size of the cleanroom facility
- January: first optically active wafer grown in the new facility
- March: first room-temperature CW laser at 2100 nm demonstrated
- May: room-temperature CW laser diode at 3000 nm demonstrated
- August: 1 W CW with 30 % WPE laser demonstrated
- January: signed investment agreement with a private equity fund LitCapital
- April: start of construction of the fab
- December: officially opened new facility at Moletu pl. 73, Vilnius.
- August 9, officially registered Brolis Semiconductors
The mission of our company is to create, develop and bring to market advanced cutting-edge infrared photonic technology that would fully utilize the very nature of semiconductor technology – compactness and scale – and reach every individual. Our focus is on hard technology where we go deep to the very bottom – encompassing complex material synthesis by MBE, semiconductor chip technology, beyond-state-of-the-art infrared GaSb/Si hybrid system-on-a-chip technology and final turnkey end user systems. With the help of our international engineering talent we do the hard work so you don’t have to!
Brolis Semiconductors is dedicated to continuous innovation, always striving to be at the very cutting-edge of the technology. Since its founding, company received numerous awards and received a lot of media attention.
2018: Most Disruptive Innovation Award 2018, Deloitte Technology Fast 50 CEE
2018: Flanders Foreign Investment Trophy 2018: “The Newcomer of the Year”
2016: CSindustry 2016 Innovation award winner
2013: Preis der Deutschen Wirtschaft in Litauen: “Jungen Unternehmen”
2013: Global Lithuanian Awards: “For bringing back international experience and implemented innovations”
2013: BZNstart: “Spin-off start-up of the Year”
2013: Lietuvos Garbė: “Accomplishment of the Year”
2012: Swedish Business Awards: “Young Entrepreneur of the Year”
Co-founder and CEO of the Company. In the period from 2001-2003 he was a project manager with Klaipeda Ship Repairs Ltd, then, from 2004 he served as production and sales director in GKF Ltd (production and timber trade) and in 2007 he founded Brolis Timber Ltd., where he was acting as a Director until 2011. Dominykas Vizbaras holds a bachelor in transport engineering from Klaipeda University, Lithuania and a MSc in transport and maritime management form Antwerp University, Belgium.
Co-founder and head of chip technology at Brolis. His field of expertise encompasses the design and development of long-wavelength semiconductor lasers and hybrid III-V/Si photonic integrated circuits. Augustinas has BSc in EE from Vilnius University (Lithuania), MSc in Physics from Royal Institute of Technology (Sweden) and PhD at Technische Universität München (Germany). He has authored and co-authored more than 45 publications in leading scientific technical journals and conference proceedings. Augustinas is a member of SPIE society. Augustinas has 3 granted US patents and 3 patent applications pending.
Co-founder and CTO of the Company. His field of expertise encompasses molecular beam epitaxy of III-V semiconductors, with a special focus on arsenides, phosphides and antimonides, where his innovations have resulted in a number of world-record devices, such as room-temperature type-I GaSb lasers down to 3.8 µm and extremely low-resistive tunnel junctions. He has BSc in EE from Vilnius University (Lithuania), MSc in Physics from Royal Institute of Technology (Sweden) and PhD at Technische Universität München (Germany). He has authored and co-authored more than 28 publications in leading scientific technical journals and conference proceedings. Kristijonas Vizbaras has 2 granted US patents and 1 patent application pending.
Brolis Semiconductors is dedicated to provide quality in all aspects: service, products, management and client satisfaction with unmatched turn-around times.
Our state-of-the-art manufacturing facility ensures that all our products are of the highest possible quality.
All of our manufacturing, characterization and packaging is performed in a class ISO 6 cleanroom environment.
Our production and management teams are dedicated to ensure the fastest turnaround times in the industry.
Brolis Semiconductors quality management system is ISO 9001:2015 certified.
For the certificate copy, please click on the link below:
We value our customer, be it a small company, university or a large contractor.
We are at Your service!
Brolis issued patent portfolio: US 9,472,627, US 9,640,389
SWIRsense – Short wavelength infrared tunable laser for sensing applications – is a RnD project funded by EUROSTARS 2 programme. The project is run by a concortium of 2 partners – Brolis Semiconductors UAB, ( Lithuania) and CSEM ( Switzerland).
Project duration: 30 months
Total project cost: 740.862 EUR
Brolis Semiconductors, Lithuania, leading partner
CSEM, Switzerland, partner.
EUROSTARS 2 project ranking: #6.
SWIRsense focuses on the development of novel compact and cheap tunable laser in the short-wavelength
infrared spectral region (SWIR) based on direct interband transition in GaSb quantum wells for spectroscopy and
sensing. We will deliver a small-footprint low-power consumption laser module comprising advanced
semiconductor gain chip and external cavity opto-mechanical system with 100 nm tuning bandwith around 2.2
micron center wavelength with up to 5 mW CW output power for sensing applications such as biomedical sensing of liquid substances ( metabolites, blood analytes, etc.).
More details on EUROSTARS can be found here
Job and Internship
Brolis Semiconductors is looking for electroo-optic system assembly engineer.
Qualifications: Engineering degree in mechanics/physics/electronics or similar
Skills required: precision, attention to detail, execution, responsibility, ability to work in a team, spoken and written English.
Send your resumes: to info with position title Assembly engineer